Friday, February 5, 2010

"Connect"

"Connect"- Triangular copper earrings with a torch induced patina and clear coat. ($20 + S & H)

I remember traveling to New York City back in the late 1980's and taking the elevator to the pentacle of the World Trade Center. I was in awe...and frankly, a little scared! I don't know if it was all in my mind, but I honestly thought I could feel the building sway back and forth. I was mesmerized as I looked out the window! The people below appeared to be ants....walking as fast as they could to get from one point to another. As I made this piece, my memories from atop the World Trade Center re-emerged. As I hammered the circles into the copper, they began to take on the appearance of ants and people bustling around, colliding into one another, possibly without much thought. When 9/11 occurred, we were reminded of how the actions of one can affect the lives of many...even the world. I also remember in the days that followed, of how we were all united...and despite our differences, in some way, at that moment...as people, we were all connected.